In case you haven’t noticed, October is three-fourths of the way over, which means… Halloween is just around the corner! This is no holiday to slack off on, gang. Nailing the perfect costume and hosting a Halloween party requires careful planning and no (or at least minimal) procrastination. Fortunately, we’re bringing you a special edition of Friday Hacks to get the jack-o-lantern rolling.
- Killin’ the Costume
Mastering the whole costume gig is 10 parts thrift store shopping, 13 parts coordinating and 77 parts intense creative brainstorming. Drawing blank on costume ideas? Here are a few avenues to stroll down:
- Dress like a character from a favorite TV show. Example: Be Joey from Friends when he steals all of Chandler’s clothes and says “Could I BE wearing any more clothes?” All you need is lots and lots of layers.
- Pun it up. Example: Tape a bunch of Smarties to your pants to be a “Smarty Pants.” Careful – if you concentrate the Smarties in your seat area, people could think you’re going for a different kind of “Smart.”
- Don’t go it alone. Example: You’ll be more recognizable as the entire Breakfast Club clan than if you just dress as Molly Ringwald.
- DIY Decorations
There is really no need to spend an arm and a leg (zombie or human) on Halloween party decorations. Here are a few cheap, easy and wicked cool decorating hacks:
- Glue googly eyes on ping pong balls to create an eyeball wreath.
- Melt red candle wax onto white candles so they look like they’re dripping with blood. (photo courtesy marthastewart.com)
- Decorate the outside of mason jars with paint and tissue paper to resemble ghouls and jack-o-lanterns, and then place candles inside.
Even if your costume falls apart and your decorations are duds, your guests will still be delighted if you feed them. Some ideas to get your stomach growling:
- Wrap Pillsbury crescent rolls around hotdogs to create mummy-dogs.
- Place almond slices on baby carrots and stick them in a dip to look like hands.
- Place small candies on a thickly frosted cupcake for some ghostly fun.
We hope these ideas helped to break up your Friday, and best of luck in all ghoulish shenanigans!